Friday 12 February 2010

Playing again with Fonera

Wireless Router: La FoneraImage via Wikipedia

I have my Fonera up and running again, which is nice considering I had dropped off the map. If you've never heard of Fon before, it's a network of people who use their routers to offer an open Wifi hotspot for other people to use. Other people on the network can use it for free, while guests have an option to pay for the service. The router owner gets a cut of the hotspot cost.

I've only set it up as an experiment really. Until high speed satellite internet becomes more ubiquitous, then it's not so trivial getting a connection online when you're far away from home. I do have a 3G connection also but you can just imagine what the roaming costs are like.

In the meantime, I quite like the ideology behind Fon. Let's hope it goes on and on.

No comments: